Friday, January 21, 2011

In which Alisa is a neurotic sap monster:

First, I cannot belive how amazing everyone has been. It really makes this whole Peace Corps thing a little bittersweet. From the notoriously grumpy old man at work who did a little dance when he found out I got in, to the old co-worker who now works for Peace Corps getting to process my invitation and write me a good luck note in my info packet (how many other Volunteers can say that?!), to my wonderful, wonderful friends who have been the definition of support (I know, so sappy!), and to my parents who are trying their hardest to be excited for me despite their many reservations. I honestly thought people would just be like, "Oh. Okay. Peace out!" and I have been proven so very wrong. And it helps so much to have this support to think back on when I have my occasional moments of "Oh, god. WHAT HAVE I DONE." Because this is for real, y'all. Like for real, for real. Like I have officially quit my job and gave notice on my apartment real. Ohmygod, you guys.

Second, I made a packing list in Excel. It has 3 tabs and over 120 rows. I spent 4 hours on it. I also left off underwear. I am terribly afraid this will be indicative of my time in Morocco.

Third, I've been reading up on Health Volunteers in Morocco and it kind of sounds like they get the short end of the stick. While most Moroccan Volunteers can expect electricity, internet access, or running water if not all three, Health Volunteers are warned that will probably not be the case for them. This explains why I can find no blogs written by Health Volunteers. They're too busy pooping in a hole (like I'd forget about that) in the dark to walk the however many Fox News (see what I did there, Mom?) miles it takes them to get to a village with internet. So this blog might come to an abrupt end come mid-March. I've decided I'll poop in a hole if I have to, but after only three posts I've become a little attached to this blog writing business. Here's hoping I won't have to give it up.

Fourth, I am apparently expected to already be working on my Darija. So fair warning, I will probably be harrassing you all with my pathetic Southern-girl attempts at Arabic in the coming weeks. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment