DC is not my town and it never has been. If you know me you've definitely heard me complain about the weather (seriously, there's only like two good weeks a year; the rest is crazy humid, stupid cold/windy, or cherry blossoms-which I'm allergic to), the drivers and traffic, the metro (my god, there are no words for the amount of fail that seems to go into metro), and the people (who I think are generally self-involved, self-entitled, and political about things that aren't even remotely political). So with that in mind, I thought leaving DC would be the easiest, most freeing thing ever. I mean I've been here almost nine years, that's a long time for my DC hate to fester. But somehow this stupid city and a handful of its people managed to grow like a fungus on me.
I'm going to miss the food like woah! And I know DC is not known for being a culinary town, but you try growing up in Bristol and you'd miss the plethora of non-chains DC's got going too. I'm going to miss walking downtown on my way to work and thinking, "Holy crap, how the hell did I get here and where are all the cows, and pick-up trucks, and tractors!?" And I'm going to miss the fact that there's public transportation and cabs!, real museums and culture, and you know, POTUS just chilling down the street. For all of DC's flaws, I guess it is occasionally kind of a cool city.
But most of all, I'm going to miss all you fungus people. And you know who you are, so I'm not going into a big listing thing. Just assume that if you're reading this and in the DC area, you're probably fungusy to me.
I'm not sure what my town will end up being but I'm pretty sure of a few of things: it won't be Bristol, it won't be DC (but that definitely doesn't mean I won't be seeing you all), and I promise you guys, it won't be somewhere in Morocco. I guess like the rest of my life post-Peace Corps, I'll just slap a big TBD on it and hope I figure it out along the way.
Much love and warm fuzzies,
Alisa
PS-
I won't have a cell phone starting Friday (Feb 25) so it's gmail and facebook from here on out, folks.
Also, last day in DC: Feb 27, last day in Bristol: March 13, last day in the US: March 15. AHHHHHH!!!
I don't know if you picked up "like whoa" from this song back in the day, but it is hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fC8EAQ8xhM
ReplyDelete- Ryan
Haha I honestly have no idea where I picked that up, but that video is AMAZING. :)
ReplyDelete